One of the most popular use cases for Socialive and NDI is the ability to stream a Socialive broadcast into Zoom for a broadcast-style presentation.
Zoom does not currently support RTMP endpoints but does allow for a Virtual Camera Input. Using NDI, a Virtual Cam input can be any NDI source that is available on the local area network. To convert an RTMP stream to an NDI stream, a software called RTMPMiniServer (available for download) can be used.
The article below delineates the steps for this use case.
For this use case, you'll need the following on either a Windows or macOS computer:
- Have NDI Tools installed
- Have RTMPMiniServer installed (requires a license)
Be a Socialive Administrator in your Socialive account.
Part 1 - Configuring RTMPMiniServer
- In RTMPMiniServer, on the right-hand side, click on Proxy (the second icon). The ProxyAddon pop-up window will appear.
- In the pop-up, on Proxy Server, click the drop-down and select the location closest to you, usa1 (United States), amst (Amsterdam), or de1 (Germany).
- Click Connect to "generate" a public address. Copy the public address but do not close the window. If you close this window, the stream will not work.
- In the RTMPMiniServer window, for Channel #1, copy the Stream Key (streamkey1ABC).
Part 2 - Configuring Socialive
- In Studio, on the right-side panel, under Broadcast Live, click on Broadcast to RTMP.
- In the pop-up that appears, click Add RTMP.
- Another pop-up will appear. Enter the following information:
- Label - Enter a name to easily identify your RTMP connection.
- Server URL - Paste the Proxy URL you generated in "Part 1 - Configuring RTMPMiniServer".
- Stream Key - Paste the Stream Key you copied in "Part 1 - Configuring RTMPMiniServer".
- Deselect the option to save the RTMP on your account for future use. This is a one-time connection.
- Click Save.
Part 3 - Starting Your Broadcast
- In RTMPMiniServer, click the blue Power button on the top-right corner. You'll notice that the power button will turn red and a yellow square will appear next to all the channels.
- In Socialive Studio, click Start Broadcast. As soon as you start the broadcast, you will see that Channel #1 in RTMPMiniServer will turn green.
Part 4 - Configuring NDI
If you're on a Windows PC, follow these steps:
- Launch NDI Tools and open the Webcam Input app.
- From the system tray, click on the NDI Webcam Input icon to open it.
- In the window that opens, click the gear icon.
- Hover over your PC Name and select MiniServer A-Line 1. The window will show a preview of the Socialive broadcast.
If you're on a macOS computer, follow these steps:
- Launch NDI Virtual Input.
- From the Menu bar, click NDI, and select the MiniServer A-Line 1 option.
Part 5 - Bringing the Broadcast into the Meeting
- Launch Zoom or any other meeting platform such as Google Meet, BlueJeans, Microsoft Teams that allow you to select your Video and Audio input.
- In Video settings, select NDI Webcam Video.
- In Audio settings, select NDI Webcam 1 as the Input/Microphone.
- The meeting attendees should be able to see and hear the Socialive broadcast within the meeting platform.
Still, looking for an answer?
Contact Socialive Support via live chat, email at email@example.com, or submit a support ticket.