The Socialive mobile app allows you to capture recordings of your guests in up to 4K resolution. The video is captured directly from the guest's device and automatically uploaded to your Socialive Recordings Library after the broadcast. Your guests won't need to download or transfer any large files manually - Socialive takes care of it.
When recording in full-HD or 4K quality:
- The maximum full-HD or 4K recording length is 90 minutes per recording. You can create as many 90-minute recordings as needed but it will depend on how much free space your guest has on their device. For a 1080p recording, they'll need at least 2GB per 1 hour of recording. While a 4K recording will require at least 7GB per 1 hour of recording.
- If the device doesn't have the minimum free space, guests will not be able to start a recording.
- The option to record in 4K resolution is only available on supported devices. See the list of recommended devices for recordings below.
- Your guest's video feed will still be recorded in the cloud in standard quality, but a full-HD or 4K version will also be recorded temporarily on their device, which will be processed and uploaded after the broadcast ends.
- If the device is running out of space while recording, the recording will automatically stop once it runs out of space.
- Since the video does not have to travel over the Internet, the recording will be on HD 1080p or 4K quality without any distortions from bandwidth limitations that can affect the resolution, bitrate, and overall video quality.
- Once the recording finishes uploading, the video will be removed from the guest's device, and no longer take up their device's storage space.
This article provides the steps for guests to join your broadcast and record their video in up to 4K resolution.
To join a broadcast as a guest, you need to have:
- A Socialive account
- An invitation to participate by a Socialive administrator, and
- Downloaded and installed the Socialive mobile app on your iOS device (iPhone or iPad).
- At least 1.5 GB of free storage space per hour of recording, and at least 500 MB to start a full-HD recording.
Recording in 1080p or 4K Resolution
- From the Green Room, tap the record icon on the right-hand panel.
- Select whether to record in 1080p or 4K.
- Tap Start Recording.
- While recording, the duration of the recording will appear under the record button.
- Once you're done recording, tap on the record button to stop recording. A notification will appear at the top, notifying you that the recording was captured.
- The recordings page will appear. Wait for the recordings to finish uploading and do not close the app. Once the recordings are uploaded, they will start processing. You do not need to keep the app open while it's processing.
Recommended Devices for Recordings
The following devices are recommended for full-HD recording:
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS/Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone SE2
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 13
- iPad 7th Gen and above (released 2019 or later)
The following devices support 4K recording:
- Devices supporting 4K video recording on both cameras (front and main) :
- iPhone 11, Pro, Max
- iPhone 12, Pro, Max
- iPhone 13, Pro, Max
- Devices supporting 4K video recording only from the main camera:
- iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (1st and 2nd gen)
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone Xs, Max
NOTE: Older iPhone models (7, 8, XR) may be used. However, given their limited processing power, guests may enter Energy Saver mode quickly after joining a broadcast and/or face other issues. It is highly recommended to test recording on those devices before the actual recording or broadcast.