The Socialive mobile app allows you to capture device recordings in up to 4K resolution. The video is captured from your device and automatically uploaded to Socialive. As a guest, you won’t need to download or transfer any large files manually - Socialive takes care of it.
When recording in full-HD or 4K quality:
The maximum length is 90 minutes per single recording. You can create as many 90-minute recordings as needed but it will depend on how much free space your device has. For a 1080p recording, you’ll need at least 2GB per 1 hour of recording and a 4K recording will require at least 7GB per 1 hour of recording.
If the device doesn't have the minimum free space, you will not be able to start a recording.
The option to record in 4K resolution is only available on supported devices. See the list of recommended devices for recordings below.
For each recording, a cloud ISO is also saved, but a full-HD or 4K version is also recorded temporarily on their device, which is not impacted by network fluctuations or limitations
Since the video does not have to travel over the Internet, the recording will be on HD 1080p or 4K quality without any distortions from bandwidth limitations that can affect the resolution, bitrate, and overall video quality.
If the device is running out of space while recording, you will be notified when the device is almost out of free space. If you continue recording and ultimately run out of free space, the recording will automatically stop once it runs out of space.
Once the recording finishes uploading, the video will be removed from your device, and no longer take up the device's storage space.
This article serves as a guide for guests to capture device recordings of their video feed in up to 4K resolution from within the Green Room.
To capture device recordings in the mobile Green Room, you need to:
Have an invitation to join a Socialive account from a Socialive administrator
Close other applications that will not be used in the broadcast which may be taking up extra processing resources and may affect the device's performance.
Enable Do Not Disturb to prevent calls and notifications to cause distractions.
Turn off Portrait Lock to allow the device’s screen to switch to landscape orientation.
- join a broadcast from your iOS device.
- From the Green Room, tap the record icon on the right-hand panel.
- Select whether to record in 1080p or 4K.
- Tap Start Recording. A notification will appear at the top and in the Green Room chat, notifying you and others in the Green Room that you started recording.
- While recording, the duration of the recording will appear under the record button.
- Once you're done recording, tap on the record button to stop recording. A notification will appear at the top and in the Green Room chat, notifying you and others in the Green Room that the recording was captured.
- The recordings page will appear. Wait for the recordings to finish uploading and do not close the app. You can leave the app if you need to answer any calls, emails, or texts, but you should come back and keep the app open until the recording has been fully uploaded to the Socialive library. Once the recordings are uploaded, they will start processing. You do not need to keep the app open while it's processing.
Supported Devices for Device Recordings
Not sure of the model of your device? Find out here.
|Device Model||1080p Recording||4K Recording||Category|
|iPhone X, Xs, Xs Max, SE (2nd Gen)||Yes||Rear Camera Only||Minimum|
|iPhone 11, 12, 13||Yes||Yes|
|iPad 7th Gen||Rear Camera only||No|
|iPhone SE (3rd Gen)||Yes||Rear Camera Only||Recommended|
|iPhone 11 Pro, 12 Pro, 13 Pro||Yes||Yes|
|iPhone 12 Mini, 13 Mini||Yes||Yes|
|iPhone 11 Pro Max, 12 Pro Max, 13 Pro Max||Yes||Yes|
|iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max||Yes||Yes|
|iPad 8th Gen||Rear Camera Only||No|
|iPad 9th Gen||Yes||No|
|iPad Mini 6th Gen||Yes||Rear Camera Only|
|iPad Air 4th Gen and later||Yes||Rear Camera Only|
|iPad Pro 11" 3rd Gen||Yes||Rear Camera Only|
|iPad Pro 12.9" 4th Gen and later||Yes||Rear Camera Only|
NOTE: Older iPhone models (7, 8, XR, X, Xs, Xs Max) and iPad models (7th Gen and earlier) may be used. However, given their limited processing power, guests may enter Energy Saver mode quickly after joining a broadcast and/or face other issues. It is highly recommended to test recording on those devices before the actual recording or broadcast.
Still, looking for an answer?