This article provides troubleshooting steps you can perform to resolve issues related to your camera or microphone not working or not being detected in Socialive.
- Checking Your Browser Permissions
- Check Your Browser Privacy Settings
- Checking Your Computer's Privacy Settings
Step 1 - Check Your Browser Permissions
The first thing to check when you have issues with your camera and microphone is your Google Chrome browser settings.
- From Socialive Studio or the Green Room, click the lock icon at the top-left corner of the address bar.
- Next to Camera, select Allow.
- Next to Microphone, select Allow.
- Refresh your browser tab for the new permissions to activate.
Additionally, you can check your camera and microphone using this WebRTC tool. Make sure your speakers are turned to 50% volume or use headphones to avoid feedback.
Step 2 - Check Your Browser Privacy Settings
If you are still having issues with your camera and microphone not being recognized, check your browser's Privacy and Security settings.
- In Google Chrome, click on the three dots menu at the top-right corner, next to your profile picture.
- Navigate to Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Camera.
- At the top, make sure that the proper camera device is selected from the drop-down.
- Scroll down and find the following URLs:
- For each URL, make sure the camera is set to Allow.
- Now, go back and navigate to Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Microphone.
- At the top, make sure that the proper microphone device is selected from the drop-down.
- Scroll down and find the same URLs from step 4.
- For each URL, make sure the microphone is set to Allow.
Step 3 - Check Your Computer's Privacy Settings
If your camera and microphone are enabled in Chrome but are still not working, you may need to check the privacy settings on your computer.
For macOS Users
If you are using macOS Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, and Mojave 10.14, follow the steps in the articles below and make sure Google Chrome can access your camera and microphone.
If you are using macOS High Sierra 10.13 and older, there are no system-level permissions for your camera. macOS will default to the settings at the application level. However, if your microphone is not working, follow the steps in the article below to make sure the correct device is selected for sound input.
For Windows Users
To use your camera and microphone with applications on Windows 10, you will need to turn on some permissions. Follow the steps below to set these permissions and allow Google Chrome to access your camera and microphone.
- Turn on app permissions for your camera in Windows 10
- Turn on app permissions for your microphone in Windows 10