One of the multiple NDI uses cases for Socialive applies when you want to include phone participation into Socialive by means of phone dial-in. There are various conferencing applications such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Skype that provide NDI support which is directly available as an NDI source on Socialive.
In this article, we will use Skype to demonstrate this use case as it is easily available, easy to set up, and offers a very inexpensive Skype phone number for $6.50 a month.
For this use case, you'll need the following:
- Two computers, either Windows or Mac
- Have Skype for desktop installed on ONE of your computers and enable NDI usage in Skype
- Have NDI Tools installed on your computer (available for both Windows and Mac)
- Be a Socialive Administrator in your Socialive account.
When your receive a call on Skype, whether via VoIP (voice over IP, web calling), an individual call from a phone line, or several calls forming a conference bridge, the audio will be available throughout the Local Area Network (LAN) as an NDI audio source, along with a Skype slate (which can be modified) as a video source.
On another computer in the same LAN, log in to Socialive, either as a Producer or a guest and select your other computer with Skype as an NDI source, it will show up as "Computer_Name (Skype - (Local)."
- In Studio, Skype will appear with the Skype slate as a video source and the Skype call in audio as the audio source.
- In the Green Room, Skype will appear as a camera option that can be selected from the Switch Cam down-caret, and an audio option that can be selected from the Mute down-caret.