Step 1: Check your browser settings and WebRTC tool
If your camera and mic are blocked in Chrome, you can easily enable them.
- Click the lock icon located on the left side of the address bar
- Next to Camera, select Allow.
- Next to Microphone, select Allow.
- Then refresh the browser tab for the new permissions to activate
- In a new tab, check your camera and mic with this WebRTC tool
*Note: make sure your speakers are turned down or you have headphones to avoid any feedback!
Step 2: Check your computer's Privacy settings.
If your camera and microphone are enabled in Chrome but are still not working, you may need to modify the privacy settings on your computer.
MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) and newer
In MacOS Mojave, Apple has introduced some system-level privacy controls for your mic and camera. These are great for privacy, but it is possible that your browser was mistakenly blocked from accessing your devices. You can check on this and allow your browser to access them from the Security & Privacy section in your System Preferences. To access these settings, do the following:
- Click on the apple in the top left > select System Preferences
- Click on the Security & Privacy section
- Click on Camera in the list of options, and tick the box next to Chrome to allow access
- Repeat Step 3 for your Microphone
- After doing this, restart your browser for the updates to take effect
MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and older
If you use an older version of MacOS, there are not system-level permissions for your camera, and instead, MacOS will default to the settings on the application level. However, if your mic selection isn't sticking, there is a system-level control of your mic. You can access this by clicking on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen and selecting System Preferences. From here, click on Sound and then select the Input tab. This area will list all input devices that are available, and you can set the default as necessary.
In Windows 10, you're able to set a default Microphone, but there are also system-level Camera permissions on what applications can access your camera. For either of these settings, the first thing to do is open up your system settings by clicking on the Start menu and selecting the Settings gear.
- Enable Allow apps to access your microphone.
- Under Choose which apps can access your microphone, make sure Chrome is turned On
- Enable Allow apps to access your camera.
- Under Choose which apps can access your camera, make sure Chrome is turned On